Friday, June 22, 2012

Putting Life Back into Life Insurance


I am in my mid forties and the youngest of a large family.  Being the youngest has its own stigmas and challenges in that I will never be quite mature enough to do and think for myself-in the eyes of  my family.  Take that perception and mix it with a family table discussion about life insurance and I get this:
Photo Credit

“Insurance agents are sleazy like used car salesmen.  You can’t trust those guys”
Me: “Come on, insurance agents are bound by state laws that have strict ethical codes that prevent and punish “sleazy” behavior.  I don’t think, however, that used car salesmen adhere to the same standards.  I will give you that”
“I am too old to worry about that.  I would never get anyone to insure me anyway. “
Me:  “ I am sure anyone can get life insurance.  It is just a matter of the amount of coverage available and what it may cost.  Don’t you worry about what your kids’…. and your baby sister’s ……future?
“I don’t want to talk about life insurance.  It just makes me think about death.  It should really be called death insurance”
Me: “Sigh”
I finally just got up and left the table…. but not before I took the last piece of pie with me. 
Youngest siblings do have some perks too.
I have to admit that I felt like life insurance should be called death insurance too, but did see the value in having a policy to make sure my funeral expenses were taken care of, and that my loved ones would not get stuck with any unexpected expenses.  The bigger issue for me was retirement.  I was on the verge of a real panic about it.  I never knew that I could have a life insurance policy, with a death benefit AND be able to use it to supplement my retirement.  This was exciting news for me and did help put the “life” back into life insurance.  I am sure that I am not alone in these perceptions and panic, so I want to share information that I have found in my journey.  I now have a Fixed Index Universal Life Insurance Policy that meets all of my needs. 
(Details forthcoming)